Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cooking with Kids

You know those days with your kids when everything is wonderful?  You spend the day with them and just have fun?  And it doesn't have to be doing anything major like spending a lot of money or taking them to a big amusement park?  Yesterday was one of those days in our house.  My 6 year old got up and we had breakfast.  He did his summer practice and we read together.  Then, I pulled out a cookbook I got for him through my book orders.
  Paula Deen's Cookbook for the Lunch-Box Set
Its a fun cookbook for kids learning to read and learning to cook.  The recipes are simple and have words and pictures. My little man chose a recipe, made the shopping list and lead our grocery shopping trip.  We made the BBQ tuna sandwiches.  We put the filling on mini hamburger buns from Trader Joe's.
True to the way I cook, we added chopped celery and a little grated white cheddar.
Here are a couple of pictures of my little chef...
Opening the can of tuna

Mixing the tuna filling

The finished product

A healthy, yummy lunch!
(grapes, carrot sticks, and pretzel thins from Trader Joes)

What do your kids like to cook?  How often do they help in the kitchen?

More on Things I Love Thursday @ Diaper Diaries

1 comment: