Monday, April 12, 2010

Vacation Cooking!

I am going off my menu plan this week because I love having the opportunity to wake up in the morning and decide what I'm cooking! I also love having time to do it. This morning it was pouring rain and cold and I decided I wanted to put a brisket in the oven. Then I love that I can decide around 3pm that I can bake cupcakes. This is my idea of a vacation, that, and I have a house full of boys that I can feed it to.

Zinfindel Brisket
5 lb brisket
4-5 small yukon gold potatoes, quartered
4-5 small purple potatoes, quartered
1 bag baby carrots (I don't often have bagged carrots, but I was using what I had in the fridge)
1 red onion
2 tbsp chipoltle infused salt (or regular large grind salt)
fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 cups zinfindel wine
1 cup water

Method:
Preheat oven to 275.
Trim excess fat from the brisket, salt and pepper the brisket on both sides. Place on the bottom of grill pan. Quarter potatoes and onions. Add carrots, onions, and potatoes around the brisket. Turn burners on the stove to medium (I have to use both my front and back burners to fit my beautiful grill pan on the stove.) Add water and wine to the pan, make sure you drizzle some wine over the top of the brisket.

We had a 5 lb brisket and cooked it for about 6 hours. I drizzled more wine over the brisket about 1/2 way through cooking, then again about an hour before we took it out. Cut across the grain, and enjoy! Its even better the next day!

Oh, it was so good! My husband kept eating those, and had to be asked if he wanted a cupcake 3 times!

1 comment:

  1. Your brisket is mouth watering. I can have three servings of that lol. Thanks for the recipe. Here's to your joy of feeding your blending family.

    ReplyDelete