Sunday, February 13, 2011

My family's favorite (Mac n Cheese)

My macaroni and cheese is famous.  Maybe not as famous as Kraft, but all my friend's kids love my macaroni and cheese.  In fact, my godchildren tell their mom that mine is the best ever on a regular basis!  My son has made it very apparent to everyone in the family that mommy's macaroni and cheese is the best in the whole world.  I asked him last week what he wanted for Valentine's Day and I wasn't surprised, he asked for my macaroni and cheese!  Last time I made it, I finally took pictures.  So, before I go grocery shopping and bake the muffins I am taking for his class party tomorrow, I will share recipe for my macaroni and cheese.  Enjoy!

1 box elbow macaroni (I use quinoa pasta)
1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite-size pieces
pinch salt
1T olive oil
2 T flour
1 1/2 cup milk (I use 1%)
2 cups sharp white cheddar
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cups bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Boil 6 quarts of water with salt.  While water boils, chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.  Boil pasta about half-way to aldente, then add cauliflower.  Drain and put pasta and cauliflower into deep dish casserole dish.


Add oil to saute pan.  Once oil is heated, add flour and mix together.  Add milk once a paste is formed with the flour and oil. Add milk to pan.   Cook until the milk begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.  Next, add tomato paste.  mix together until sauce thickens and is heated through


Add shredded cheese, reserving about 1/2 cup for the top of your dish before it goes into the oven.  Incorporate cheese until its melted and incorporated into sauce


Add small amount of salt and pepper, as needed.

Pour sauce ever pasta and cauliflower and mix a little so the sauce is mixed in.  Top with reserved cheese and breadcrumbs.  Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. i grew up eating something very similar. we call it cheese spaghetti. here's the recipe ... you'll have to try it! we always eat it with bbq chicken. always!

    http://www.greyumbrella.com/2009/08/farmers-market-recipes_01.html

    ReplyDelete