Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Summer Science

I thought I would start a thread here once or twice a week about what we are doing to keep boredom at bay this summer.  I got my son The Everything Kids' Science Experiments Book: Boil Ice, Float Water, Measure Gravity-Challenge the World Around You! (Everything Kids Series) because he's been wanting to do science experiments a lot lately.  Today, we're starting out with what happens when you add ice to boiling water.  This book is great!  It gives the procedure, explains how to make a hypothesis and has a place for the kids to write what they found during the experiment.  Most of the ones I've seen while flipping through have mostly materials you have around the house.  Absolutely worth the $9.00 I spent and I will reuse some of these in my class next fall too.

Here are some pictures from this week's science experiment...





Who Said a watched pot never boils?!

Being very careful to put the ice in and not splash the hot water (mommy very closely watching)

The notebook page of the book where he can write his observations.  He said, "When I put the ice in the hot water, it stopped boiling."

You can find more summer ideas on how to keep the kids busy here at Works For Me Wednesday.

Besides camps, TV, computer games and outside activities, how are you and your family combatting boredom this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment