Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Crockpot Lentil and Mushroom soup

I've been in the mood for fall meals lately.  Fall and winter foods mean comfort food to me!

Last week, I stopped by Whole Foods and grabbed a cup of soup for myself.  The soup I grabbed was a lentil and mushroom delight.  Here is the recreation I made for Crockpot Monday in our house:

1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 32 oz. containers of chicken stock
1 lb bag of lentils
1-2 portobello mushrooms, cut into small cubes
2-3 sprigs of thyme
2-3 bay leaves, dried
salt and pepper
1/4-1/2 c. heavy cream

Place onions, garlic, 1 container of chicken stock, lentils, and spices in the crock pot and refrigerate over night.  In the morning, add the 2nd container of stock.  I find if I don't soak my lentils over night, they are crunchy in the soup the next day.

Cook on low for 6 hours.

Right before serving, add cream and stir.  I served it with a garlic cheese bread toasted and topped with avocado and a small amount of shredded cheese.  My son and I both had seconds!  I can't wait for leftover night tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment